top of page

About SR-22's


You have been suspended/revoked as a result of a court conviction, accumulation of points or some other administrative action - which requires you to prove to the State of Nebraska that all vehicles (car, pickup, van, motorcycle, etc.) you own are insured.  If you do not own any vehicles, you must purchase a non-owner or operator policy.

The proof of insurance form that the Department of Motor Vehicles requires is called an SR-22 filing.  This is the only form of proof of insurance that will be accepted.


It is your responsibility to notify your insurance company, as soon as possible, that you need an SR-22 filing.  You or your insurance company will need to mail or personally deliver the SR-22 filing to this office for review - unless the insurance company can electronically submit the filing (which is a computer to computer transfer of information).  Each insurance company that submits SR filings to Nebraska is required to have a Signature Authorization Letter on file.  This letter provides specific instructions that the Department of Motor

Vehicles must follow for their company.


The Department of Motor Vehicles DOES NOT ACCEPT FAX or PHOTO COPIES of the SR-22 filing.  In order to accept the filing, it must be completed in full (i.e. name, complete address and identifying information for named insured, it must indicate a valid policy number, name of the insurance company, the effective date and certification effective dates of the policy, and it must be signed by an individual that the company has authorized their signature with the Department of Motor Vehicles.)

bottom of page